Frequently Asked Questions
When purchasing a used barrel, should I choose a whiskey or wine barrel?
What does Mystic Barrels look for when sourcing whiskey and wine barrels?
Used barrels are available in all sorts of different conditions. We have established strict criteria for the barrels we source and make available to you. The barrels must meet the following criteria:
1. Flat Heads - Many customers use the barrels as décor, tables, to put drinks or flower pots on, or to use in their own DIY project. Having flat heads is important for all of these cases. Therefore, we search far and wide to find barrels that have flat heads, and conduct additional sorting to ensure the barrels you receive are well suited for your application.
2. No major cracks or defects - As you can imagine, barrels are put through a lot of rough handling, storage conditions, and transportation scenarios over the course of their life. Any of these stages can damage a barrel. We ensure the barrels you get are free from any major cracks or defects that would interrupt the barrel's usefulness for your home, business, event, or project.
3. Freshly dumped barrels - A barrel seals itself by using the moisture of the product inside to expand the wood against the barrel hoops, and tighten the staves and head of the barrel against each other. Once the product is removed, the wood of the barrel can dissipate some of that moisture content.
Is there anything I need to do to the barrel once I receive it?
If purchasing any furniture pieces, then nope, you should be all set!
If purchasing a used barrel, you may want to consider securing the hoops to the barrel. Over time the wood of the barrel may dry out if placed in an area with low humidity, causing the hoops to loosen. To maintain the structural integrity of the barrel for years to come, we would recommend adding 3 or 4 screws through each of the metal hoops/bands around the barrel and into the wood of the staves.
1. Use self-tapping sheet-metal screws to drill through the hoops and into the barrel.
2. Use a drill bit to drill a hole through the hoops. Use a nail or wood screw to secure the hoop to the barrel.
Prefer to receive your used barrel with the hoops already fastened? No problem! Just contact us, and for a small fee, we will take care of it!
Can I leave the barrel outside?
Like any wood or wood furniture, rain, snow, and other moisture can decay wood if left unprotected. If leaving the barrel outside, we would recommend keeping it under cover.
To add further product, consider coating the barrel in an exterior-grade polyurethane every year or two.
How do you clean or refinish a barrel?
Some customers prefer to keep the barrels just the way they are, embracing their naturally rustic or refined appearance. Others prefer to clean up and stain their barrels, or use for countless other DIY projects. These barrels are perfect for either application!
Depending on the look you are going for, you can give the barrel a basic clean with a hose or pressure washer. Some deck-cleaner works well to remove some surface stains. To really get down to fresh wood, using a belt sander is really the way to go. After sanding, choose your favorite stain and sealer and you'll be good to go!
Any other questions, please feel free to contact us!
Call or text: 412-275-0542
Send me an instant message on the website messenger!